Saturday 11 February 2012

How To Fix "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" bug!

In Windows you can open a file using numerous different applications. For example opening a .mp3 file with either Windows Media Player of VLC Player. Setting one of them is effortless with a simple right-click and "Choose default program".


Anyhow one day I encounter a problem opening .sln file with my Visual Studio, where the option to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is greyed out and not click-able like example shown below.


To fix this matter, press Win + R and type in "regedit"


Then navigate to the following sub-key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Delete all sub-keys of affected extension and you are done. In my case, I deleted all from .sln to solve my problem.


                                                                                                                                                                   .

2 comments:

YES!!! This actually worked (fixing the check box) when all other forums out there had nothing but dumb responses on how to just open the file rather than setting the default. THANK YOU!!!

I have a slightly different version of this problem. All the associations work except for one file type. It defaults to notepad and cannot be changed. "Open With" is not available but using properties, change and browse I can find the file i want to associate but it will not populate the line. The "always use this file to open..." is greyed out.
I believe this came from a virus. The computer has been scrubbed with many hours of deep scanning. I have edited the registry and removed all entries for the file and it's launcher in question. For the first time after purfing the registry it will give me several files available for opening the file in properties, change but they will not select and the "always use" line remains greyed out. The next opening of properties it returns to nothing but notepad and can't be changed.

I am trying to avoid reformatting but I am running out of options. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Post a Comment

Share

Widgets

Share!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More